Passion for control, image processing, mathematics, machine learning, and abstract thinking. Apart from your curiosity, your communication skills and your ability to work in teams, you should meet the following requirements:
• Applicants for the PhD position: MSc or equivalent in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or closely related field
• Excellent academic track record
• Very good English skills, written and spoken
• Control background
• State-of-the-art computer vision know-how
• Excellent C++ skills with several years of coding experience
• Ability to solve difficult vision problems and to push forward the development of the core control and image algorithms with your ideas
• Skill to analyze and improve algorithms
Experience in mobile robotics (with topics such as 2D/3D SLAM or tracking) and multi-robot control is a plus. Familiarity with libraries such as Qt, OpenCV, OpenGL and development tools including Matlab, Python, CMake, and Git would also be an advantage.
The candidate is expected to also participate in supervision of bachelor's and master's projects, and the general activities of the Lab.
- Evaluation of the candidates starts immediately but will continue until the position is filled
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a single PDF including (in the order) a short letter of motivation (half a page) and your CV (including publication list and a list of at least 3 references). For candidates holding a Masters' degree, please include your transcripts (BSc and MSc).
Send the above PDF to Prof. Dr. Davide Scaramuzza <scaramuzza (dot) applications (at) gmail (dot) com> quoting [PhD Application] or [Postdoc Application] in the subject.
Optionally, send in a copy of undergrad project reports, semester papers or anything else that shows your ability for scientific work and writing.
For questions, please contact Davide Scaramuzza using the same email address for the applications <scaramuzza (dot) applications (at) gmail (dot) com>
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer an exciting research opportunity at the forefront of one of the most dynamic engineering fields. You will have both one of the steepest personal learning experiences in your life as well as the opportunity to make an impact in the consumer-electronics market and in the computer vision and robotics communities.
You will be working in a very international team of highly motivated and skilled people. You will grow into a network of international robotics and computer vision professionals.
A Software Engineer or Postdoc position is a regular job with social benefits in Switzerland. You will get a very competitive salary and access to excellent facilities in one of the world's leading technical Robotics Labs. Zurich is regularly ranked among the top cities in the world for quality of life.
- The Ailab counts about 30 people (PhD, Postdocs, and technicians) with more than 10 different nationalities, electronic and machine workshops, 3D printers, and a motion capture system
- Info about the Ailab can be found at http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/
- Information about our current computer vision and robotics past projects can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/scarabotix/
- The Ailab is located in the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich http://www.ifi.uzh.ch/index.html
- Information about the University of Zurich can be found at http://www.uzh.ch/index_en.html